Twitter / emswazzu

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Blue October v The Killers - Face Off

written the morning of Friday October 13th, 2006

So…I have seen 2 concerts in the last week here in Seattle. Last Friday, October 6th, I had the privilege of seeing Blue October at the Showbox. This Thursday the 12th, I got to attend The Killers show at the Paramount that was sold out. Both were relatively impressive. It was a different experience for me to date this year, concert wise though…as I was only a casual fan of each band, familiar with only a few songs lyrically, though a fan of their music generally.

Coming out of the shows I am definitely a more avid fan of one, but a continued fan of the other.

Here is how it all went down.

So last week, I went to the Showbox. Blue October came out after 2 openers (who were both impressive themselves – Test Your Reflex & Oslo). The venue, which was pretty laid back up to that point…well the crush in anticipation of the main act was evident in the pit/floor area after the final opener left and the stage was being prepped for the Blue. Then they came out, and wow, Blue fans are awesome, the crush towards the center of the pit was serious. And in no time the pit was bouncing…I could the floor vibrating from it under my feet. And how bout those boys on stage. Wow. This Justin character, the lead…he may not be the prettiest guy, but he is intense and effective. I was scared! I was most impressed with their musicality though. Blue rocks hard, but it isn’t just loud, it is eclectic, it is raw, it is cool, it is scary, it is really awesome to take in. They definitely have some synthesized sound combined with usage at point of an electric violin/fiddle(?)…tres cool. Their sound is just so full and rich and rocking hard.

I was familiar with 3 of their songs lyrically, most obviously Razorblade, as that was the song that got me hooked on them originally this summer when it was covered on the TV show Rockstar Supernova by Zayra Alvarez. Have to say, that is still my favorite of theirs, But, the other 2 songs I was somewhat familiar with: Hate Me, and Into the Ocean were also crowd favorites, and I think they are for me too! Overall though, even the songs I was ot familiar with, I totally dug. I already own their current CD, and might have to look into digging back into their catalogue…they really impressed me.

Blue, was an intense and true experience…Their music and lyrics have a visceral quality. They, I suspect, will be huge. Their fans, though not massive in this venue, were avid, and I now totally GET it. I am now a full on Blue October fan. Sign me up,

Now to The Killers. Ok, so folks are probably more familiar with this group. We all remember their first album, Hot Fuss…does anyone not know: Mr Brightside or Sombody Told Me? Yeah, me too! Love those songs. Well, The Killers just dropped their newest cd: Sam’s Town last week. I have to confess, I have not yet bought this one, so I am less familiar with the bulk of their set that is focused on their newest work. That is ok, I like what I hear. It is definitely more rock than their first effort in my opinion. Also notable, the group amuses me…visually…the band looks very 70’s, hair/attire, then there is Brandon Flowers…he is so preppy looking (kind of cute too) at lead. He is a good lead though. Like his vibe.

I would have to say though, their biggest songs in the room, crowd wise, were the ones we all know off their last album, the aforementioned Somebody Told Me(I think it was 3rd on their set list) and Mr Brightside (closed the main set)—the latter, the crowd went crazy. It also, in my opinion, underscored what worked so well off their last album…I call it the chasing beats. They had managed to resurrect that dance rock vibe with these songs…and the crowds respond. They are musically the most well rounded pieces of the night in my opinion. I would say the masses agreed, though the last 2 closing songs of the encore definitely came off well (don’t ask me to name them though, I am with out strong knowledge of their song titles save the title track to their new CD(that opened the show) and the to already mentioned.

Another note. Yeah, this show was sold out. It was a 2-3thousand persosn venue, not sure that many actually showed up. But it was definitely full-ish for the main act. It was SRO on the main floor, pit area. The crowd/venue though more massive than the venue at the Showbox for Blue, was not quite as avid in the front area, by my estimation. Funny, while the Killers seem more popular, I would say, they are just that, more pop…but the fans of Blue…LOVE THEM. It was palpable.

My opinion of the music. Well, they both clearly rock. And The Killers have obviously attained a much earned level of success. Brandon and company are a really good act. I would go to their show again. That said, not sure I need to pick up the new CD, the music just did not speak to me. I prefer Hot Fuss. In contrast though, the folks I came with, the one, prefers the newer CD, so different strokes I guess!

Overall, loved Blue October…must have more! Really liked The Killers, good show.

And, as I sit now, wrapping this up, I am actually in the air, winging my way to San Diego to meet up with some friends. We are going to go to a show at the House of Blues to see a certain Mr. Ryan Star. This is the one guy that I really liked from this last season of Rockstar, that I have not seen live yet. I am very excited. Listening to his live CD, Dark Horse. Very good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Elisa,

My name is Trinity, I am a friend of Melinda (fabtwin) and Ryan Star's ; ). I am known as mystixmind on the net and Rockband; however, I lurk more than anything and have only posted a few times.

I just saw Blue October for the second time in about two months time and if they were playing a show here tomorrow I'd be there in a heart beat. I even got my boyfriend loving them. OMG - this band's music is so moving!! I LOVE every song on Foiled but I believe 18th Floor Balcony is the most beautiful song I've heard in awhile. Since I uploaded the album into my Ipod I find myself putting it on repeat and falling asleep to thier music.

I didn't make it to Ryan's San Diego show because of family commitments; however, was at both the Anahiem & Sunset HOB shows and the man is amazing!! Glad you were able to see him and experience his intensity in person.

I like the Killers as a casual fan as well and had the privelege of seeing them perform at a local radio station's summer concert festival. I would definetly see them again but they did not move my soul the way Ryan and Blue October have. Looks like we have some similarities in our musical persuasions.

Take care,
Trinity

About Me

My photo
I am a financial systems analyst by day, and a music & event photographer by night...and weekends! You can see more at http://photosbyelisa.com & my blog here... As well, I am just launching a brand new music site, at http://www.seattleliveinconcert.com

My Flickr :: most recent

www.flickr.com
Elisa ~ www.emswazzu.com's items Go to Elisa ~ www.emswazzu.com's photostream